----- Original Message -----
From: "Info Career Trends Newsletter"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2003 12:13 PM
Subject: [Info Career Trends Newsletter] March 1, 2003 issue

Info Career Trends                              March 1, 2003
vol. 4, no. 2
ISSN 1532-0839
Published by Lisjobs.com - http://www.lisjobs.com
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Salary Self-Empowerment
by Cybele Merrick ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

As information professionals, librarians are in a privileged
position when it comes to negotiating for raises at work. Although
(especially at the entry level) we work in an underpaid profession,
our training affords us an advantage: we are adept at research. We
can use this skill to base our salary negotiations on sound
evidence.

Every librarian must make her or his case for a raise. The value
added to one's organization, the dedication and creativity brought
to one's work, collegiality - all are key. But making a case based
on what others are earning is equally important.

Successful Strategies

A few years ago, I started to realize that I was somewhat
underpaid. Although I wasn't really looking to change jobs, I had
been keeping my eye on the help-wanted ads and scanning the library
e-mail lists. I could see that the salary ranges for open positions
- positions that I certainly qualified for - were higher than what
I was making. So, I decided to meet with my supervisor and ask for
a raise. The figure I was aiming at was a substantial increase over
what I was making: about eleven percent. I learned through the
grapevine that this was not a customary salary increase within my
organization, so I knew I would need a solid ground on which to
build my case for a raise.

I took the advice offered by Deborah M. Kolb and Ann C. Schaffner
on salary negotiation. One of their key points is to learn as much
as possible about others' salaries, in your library, field, region,
and organization. I am a solo librarian - the first librarian to
work in my organization - so I had no fellow librarians at work to
benchmark against. So, I turned outside the organization.

Searching and Researching

For several weeks I took notes on the qualifications sought and the
salaries offered for positions that were comparable to mine, in
terms of experience, qualifications and skills. I concentrated on
positions in urban settings that had a social science, government,
or public policy focus, like my current job. The New York Times,
library e-mail discussion lists, and Sarah L. Nesbeitt's site,
http://www.libraryjobpostings.org , were my primary sources for
information. I also got my hands on a recent copy of the Special
Libraries Association's annual salary survey through interlibrary
loan.

At work, I report to the organization's director of research, so
the fact that SLA's salary survey is a real research document was
key. The SLA survey lists salaries by a host of measures: years of
experience, geographic region, business sector, primary
responsibility and so on, all in a language that resonated with my
boss. (Other library organizations publish similar annual surveys
for their members.)

Convincing and Clinching the Deal

Kolb and Schaffner also urge librarians to "recognize your value,
and make it visible." Prior to meeting with my boss, I drew up a
list of my accomplishments since my last raise. These included new
projects I had started in the library, collaborative work I had
done with other departments, professional activities, and
continuing education. Having done this preparatory work, I felt
more confident going into the meeting.

At the meeting itself, I began to make my case by citing my
accomplishments and value to the organization. Frankly, I was
surprised by how calm I was! The preparation I had done was paying
off. Next, I presented the evidence I had gathered about the gap
between what I was making and what my peers were earning. I showed
her relevant pages from the SLA survey, and also gave her a
sampling of the job announcements that I had collected from the
newspaper and web sites. With this information, I was able to make
an ultimately compelling case for an increase. And my supervisor
used the material I had provided when she, in turn, sought final
approval for the salary increase.

Especially in our current tough economic times, it is crucial to
use all the tools at our disposal when negotiating a raise. The
answer is not to hunker down and hope that the bad times pass. Even
in this environment, hard work should be rewarded. Making your case
armed with facts, backed up by research, cannot guarantee a raise -
but at least you can negotiate confidently, secure in the knowledge
that you know what you are worth.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES (some available online at:
http://www.lisjobs.com/advice.htm#stats )

Kolb, Deborah M. and Ann C. Schaffner. "Negotiating What You're
Worth." Library Journal 126(17): 52-3.

ARL Annual Salary Survey (Washington, DC: Association of Research
Libraries, annual).

SLA Annual Salary Survey: A Research Publication of The Special
Libraries Association (Washington, DC: SLA Publishing, annual).

ALA Survey of Librarian Salaries (Chicago: Office for Research and
Office for Library Personnel Resources, ALA, annual).

Cybele Merrick is the librarian at the Vera Institute of Justice, a
New York-based nonprofit that works with government to make its
policies fairer, more humane, and more efficient. She has an MS in
Library Science from Pratt Institute, and MA in English and BA in
English and History from Columbia University.

========

*** Find a library job! http://www.lisjobs.com

Love the newsletter? Make a PayPal donation to its upkeep:
https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=rachel%40lisjobs.com

========

Don't Let Your Dream Job Be Just a Dream
by Smiti Gandhi ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Finding a job can be a daunting task. Trying to find a job that is
the best fit for you can be even more challenging - yet it's a
dream worth pursuing. All it requires is a more focused and
aggressive job search strategy, tempered with ingenuity and
creativity. Here are some suggestions for finding that "perfect"
job you've always dreamed of.

Know Your Strengths

Honestly evaluate your strengths. Make a list of skills you have to
offer, tasks you are good at, and things you enjoy doing. List the
responsibilities and tasks you hope to have and skills you would
like to acquire in your perfect job. This will ensure that you have
a professional development plan and don't stagnate in your "ideal"
job after the initial euphoria fades.

Know Your Limitations

Critically assess your weaknesses and limitations. Your family
obligations may restrict your job search to a certain geographic
area, or times of the day/week. You may prefer to live near the
beach, commute as little as possible, or live in a large
cosmopolitan city. Maybe you're accustomed to a certain lifestyle
and need a minimum salary to maintain it.

Also consider the kind of work you dislike doing. Some people don't
relish public speaking, having to constantly interact with people,
giving storytimes, or working with children. Understand the work
environment you thrive in and are likely to give your optimal
performance in. Autonomous work environments, which allow employees
to define and control their work responsibilities, may appeal to
some. Others may need more structured environments where step-by-
step directions are provided. Some people work best in large
institutions, while others thrive in smaller, more intimate
environments.

Prioritize your preferences and understand clearly what your ideal
job must have, what you are willing to accept, and where you may be
willing to compromise if the right opportunity comes along.

Know What Kind of Job You Want

This is the most crucial step in the process, and probably the most
difficult one. Finding the right niche is impossible if you don't
know what kind of job you want. The ideal job is the one that
allows you to do what you want to do.

First, narrow down the area of expertise you want to focus on -
reference, cataloging, collection development, interlibrary loan,
distance learning, children/young adult services, systems
librarianship, or a specialized subject area you're interested in.
Then, explore the types of libraries - public, community college,
university, corporate, or specialized - that have jobs relating to
that expertise.

If you're not sure about the area to focus on or the type of
library you'd like to work in, explore different options by
volunteering, taking part-time jobs, or doing internships or
freelance work. Internships and part-time opportunities can boost
your confidence and reinforce other people's perception of your
ability to get the job done.

When I first became a librarian, I didn't know what area to
specialize in or which kind of library would be the "best fit" for
my interests and skills. So, I explored different opportunities. I
worked as a reference librarian in public, academic, and corporate
libraries. I even tried cataloging and children's librarianship.
Through these experiences I discovered I was happiest in an
academic or research/corporate library environment where I served
college students and professionals and used my reference, research,
instruction, and writing skills.

Have a Plan

It's easier to chalk out a route if you have a destination. Learn
more about the kinds of jobs available in the types of libraries
you want to work at. Read their job ads to increase your awareness
of the skills, qualities and qualifications they are looking for.
See if these match up with your skills, qualities, and
qualifications. Try to bridge any gaps you observe through
continuing education courses, professional development
opportunities, and other avenues. Gather a broad range of
professional experiences and transferable skills.

If you have specific libraries in mind, research them thoroughly so
that when you make the initial contact you can impress the managers
with your knowledge. Talk to friends and colleagues about their
work experiences there.

Get Out and Get Noticed

No matter how good you are, nobody's going to come to you, tap you
on the shoulder and say: "You're the perfect person for this job,
and we'd like to hire you!" Even though you may possess all the
skills and qualifications your preferred employer needs, you still
have to market yourself and make them aware of your existence,
interest, strengths and accomplishments. Create a marketing plan
for yourself. Make yourself visible. Join professional
associations, attend and participate in conferences and workshops.
Take the initiative to contact people and talk to them.

A word of caution here: merely making yourself visible to people in
your field doesn't always help.  Visibility can work to your
disadvantage if you create a negative impression. Your goal must be
to impress people you meet, so that they are willing to hire you.

Be the Best You Can

Remember that you won't be the only person applying for a job, even
if it's the "perfect" job for you. There will be other applicants,
and you must be able to beat out the competition to get the job.
You have to distinguish yourself from other candidates and stand
out in the interviewer's mind. Not only must your qualifications be
impressive, but you must possess excellent interviewing skills as
well.

If your resume falls short in certain areas, e.g., you are applying
for a reference librarian position in a university library, and you
don't have a subject master's degree, or haven't served on
professional associations/committees, acknowledge your limitations
in the interview and talk about how you plan to overcome these
shortcomings. Ask interviewers about qualities they find impressive
in candidates and try to relate them to your strengths and skills.
Demonstrate your knowledge of current issues and trends relating to
librarianship. Most of all, let your passion and enthusiasm for
your profession and work come across in the interview.

Putting It All Together

According to the old adage, there is no such thing as a "perfect"
job. However, you can find a job that "best" fits your interests,
talents and skills and excites you about the prospect of rolling
out of bed every morning and going in to work. Finding such a job
will require the five P's: Patience, Planning, Positive attitude,
being Proactive, and being Persistent.

Smiti Gandhi received her MLIS from the University of South
Florida. She currently works as a Reference Librarian at Valencia
Community College in Orlando, Florida, and has previously worked in
public, academic and corporate libraries.

========

Have technology responsibilities in your library? Check out The
Accidental Systems Librarian! Information and links online at
http://www.lisjobs.com/tasl/ .

========

Hiring Reference Librarians: Insights From Some Law Library
Directors
by Rhonda Hankins ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Twelve directors of academic law libraries around the United States
recently participated in an informal survey about what they look
for in hiring reference librarians. Though some admitted to
occasionally hiring on a whim, directors generally use routine
questions to evaluate job candidates. Learning the opinions of some
of the leaders in the profession may be the key to success for
recent graduates looking for their first job, or for established
librarians hoping to climb the managerial ladder. The insights and
analysis provided by these directors also shed light on the nature
of the profession, so even those who are not job hunting may find
their comments interesting and relevant.

The Resume

Not surprisingly, all of the directors who participated in this
survey agreed that the resume and accompanying cover letter should
be free of typographical, spelling, and grammatical errors. Many
directors stated that even one mistake of this nature on a resume
disqualified a candidate from further consideration.

In addition, the consensus is that resumes should be chronological
and that any and all gaps should be explained. Roger Jacobs, dean
of Kresge Library at Notre Dame Law School, advises prospective job
candidates that "if you took off two years to meditate or sail
around the world, tell me, don't let me imagine you were in prison
or drug rehab."

Faye E. Jones, director of the Gordon D. Schaber Law Library at the
University of Pacific said that a particularly impressive resume
includes language from the job description in highlighting previous
experience, skills, or interests. Tailoring the resume to the job
in this way shows a high level of interest and makes the resume
stand out. "I am looking for enthusiasm, commitment, maturity, and
teamwork skills as well as strong teaching and communication
skills," Jones continued, "and successful resumes show me all of
those things."

A number of the directors said that they preferred candidates to
give contact information for references either in the resume or on
a separate page that accompanies the resume. "References are
important," emphasized Robert C. Berring, Jr., director of Boalt
Hall Law Library at The University of California at Berkeley. "Why
anyone ever puts 'references available on request' escapes me," he
said. James S. Heller, director of Marshall-Wythe Law Library at
the College of William & Mary noted that he contacts references
before inviting candidates to interview.

The Recommended Credentials

Most of the directors who participated in the survey indicated a
preference for candidates who had degrees from good, accredited
schools. "A high class ranking, law review or graduating from a
library school and/or law school with an excellent reputation would
be credentials that would get my attention," noted Judith F.
Anspach, Associate Dean of Information Resources, Deane Law Library
at Hofstra University Law School Library.

Even candidates with the right degrees, however, would do
themselves a favor to make sure that they also have the necessary
skills and knowledge to excel. For example, Kent McKeever, director
of The Arthur W. Diamond Law Library at Columbia University,
strongly advises students to take cataloging - whether or not it is
part of the core curriculum. "The concepts learned there are
transportable into any information processing task," he explained.
He also recommends that all students who want to be reference
librarians take a basic personnel management class, since
professional library jobs beyond the opening level positions almost
always involve supervising staff. For people who already have their
MLS, continuing education courses in these areas would be
appropriate. In fact, according to Jacobs, a typical weakness of
reference librarian candidates is a lack of aggressiveness in
further developing skills and a too narrow focus on only the
reference functions of a library.

In addition to formal education, most directors also want to see
relevant job experience on the resume.  And, according to Kaufman,
prospective reference librarians would strengthen their candidacy
by learning every job in the library because "that experience gives
you an understanding of the tasks, services, and politics
associated with library endeavors." Because instruction is becoming
increasingly important for law librarians, the ability to
communicate easily and clearly is a great asset. Therefore, prior
teaching experience - either formal or informal - can also be a
bonus for a candidate.

However, as Berring makes clear, degrees and experience aren't
enough to qualify for jobs as a reference librarian. "If you do not
understand cyberspace, no degree on earth will help you," he
explained. The comments of other directors also indicate that
technological adeptness is an essential skill in today's library.

The Interview

Mersky emphasized that appearance and presentation are part of
professionalism, which means that job candidates should look their
best for the interview. "You dress nicely to show respect for the
position for which you are interviewing," he explained. "I once
hired a reference librarian just because she carried a beautiful
briefcase to the interview," Mersky continued, "and though I was
disappointed that I never saw that briefcase again after she was
hired, I still find a good presentation impressive."

The directors generally agreed that successful candidates exhibit
interest in and knowledge of the library, enthusiasm for the
position, and good communication skills during the job interview,
and that they save questions about benefits and retirement packages
for the folks in human resources. Though some library directors
have tests that they administer to evaluate candidates, most ask
probing questions to determine a candidate's breadth of knowledge
and probable level of reference skills. "I don't administer a
skills test, but I do present hypotheticals that give me an
opportunity to assess the candidate's reference skills and their
ability to make common sense decisions," explained Anspach. Jones
said that she requires a 20-minute presentation followed by a short
question/answer session at the on-campus interview. "The
presentation gives us an opportunity to assess the candidate's
preparation, organization, communication, public presence, ability
to respond to questions, and ability to think on his/her feet."

"We always ask questions that get at teamwork and communication
skills," noted Studwell. "When we ask what the worst job they've
had has been, I listen carefully to see how artfully they handle a
discussion about someone they worked with that they didn't like or
respect." Heller mentioned a number of general questions he usually
asks candidates for reference positions, including: Why do you want
to work here? Why do you want to be a law librarian? What are your
strongest skills? What kind of work do you like to do best? What
interesting or difficult problems have you encountered in a prior
job, and how did you solve them? What do you look for in a
supervisor? Kaufman said she also finds it important to clarify
that candidates understand the job description; that they can give
examples of successful teamwork; and that they demonstrate that
they are "can-do" people.

In addition, the directors expect candidates to raise appropriate
questions. "I would like to hear questions that indicate that the
candidate has an awareness of the place of the law librarian in an
academic environment; about developments in research methods; and
about the nature of my organization," explained Jacobs. "I love to
hear questions about what do I want in a candidate, about the
culture of the organization, and about what challenges we face,"
added Jones. "I also like to hear about any innovations they have
introduced in their previous positions," noted Anspach.

Moving Up the Managerial Ladder

A lot of the advice these directors have for moving up the
managerial ladder in a law library reflects conventional wisdom:
work hard, find good mentors, take on additional responsibilities,
get involved at the national level, and be patient. And probably
few would disagree with Jacobs, who recommended that reference
librarians who want to move up the managerial ladder might find it
useful to "graduate from the University of Washington Law
Librarianship Program" and "work for Roy Mersky."

The author would like to thank the following law library directors
for participating in the survey, which was sent out over lawlibdir
on November 12, 2002: Judith F. Anspach, Deane Law Library, Hofstra
University School of Law at Hofstra University Law School Library;
Robert C. Berring, Jr., Boalt Hall Law Library at The University of
California at Berkeley;  John Hagemann, McKusick Law Library at The
University of South Dakota; James S. Heller, Marshall-Wythe Law
Library at the College of William & Mary; Roger F. Jacobs, Kresge
Library at Notre Dame Law School; Faye E. Jones, The Gordon D.
Schaber Law Library at the University of Pacific; Billie Joe
Kaufman, Law Library & Technology Center at Nova Southeastern
University; Margaret A. Leary, University of Michigan Law Library;
Kent McKeever, The Arthur W. Diamond Law Library at Columbia
University; Roy M. Mersky, Jamail Center for Legal Research at The
University of Texas School of Law; M. Kathleen Price at New York
University Law Library; and, Roberta Studwell, University of Nevada
Las Vegas Law Library.

A lengthier version of this article was published in the February,
2003 issue of AALL Spectrum.

========

*** Advice, articles, and salary information for librarians:
http://www.lisjobs.com/advice.htm

========

Of Interns And Others: Job Hunting Pointers For New Librarians
by Abigail Leah Plumb ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Libraries are changing, and librarians' roles are changing. If
you've picked up an issue of any library-related journal recently,
or read a library web site recently, you already know all about it.
For job seekers, and particularly for new librarians who haven't
experienced a more traditional professional position firsthand,
hearing all about the whirlwind changes can be thoroughly
intimidating. As a recent library school graduate myself, I know
all too well how confusing all this talk of flux can be when you're
looking for a job.

As a recent interviewer, I've also seen firsthand the mistakes
candidates make during the application process. Libraries are
changing, and I wonder if library schools aren't giving out a lot
of outdated advice. I'd like to provide a brief glimpse at the view
from behind the desk, and give you a little ammo for your
internship or first-job interviews.

* Know what the library's like. While looking for work, I
frequently found job ads that were minimal, or verging on the
cryptic. As an interviewer, I was continually surprised by
candidates who didn't seem to have a clear idea of fundamentals:
what was our area of specialty, for example? A quick Google search
will reveal this, in the case of my library. However, an e-mail
message or phone call to ask such questions is also well within the
boundaries of good form. Don't make assumptions. Do ask the
interviewer beforehand. Do ask your buddies or professors. Do look
it up in a directory or other reference. As a budding information
professional, you might as well place your research skills front
and center.

* Sell your library enthusiasm. I know, I know. Producing a
seemingly endless stream of cover letters is hardly conducive to
feelings of excitement and good cheer. But, if you don't want to
work in a library, I certainly don't want you to work in mine.
Highlight your library skills and your library interests in your
cover letter. Highlight them more in the interview. Don't talk
about your secretarial skills or your coursework in primatology or
your marketing savvy unless you can relate them to the particular
job. Do articulate why you want to be a librarian, and make your
reasons relevant to the particular job. If the job primarily
requires database searching and web development, your love of books
is pleasant but largely irrelevant.

* Look professional. Suits are expensive, and when you're still in
school, a job-hunting wardrobe can just about break the bank. While
I imagine that many colleagues take a different approach, I tell
candidates up front that the interview will be informal. I don't
see any reason for you to bother with business-formal attire, if I
never do myself, but I still want to see you looking professional.
Your really old signed Sonic Youth T-shirt is great, but, in the
library world, hipness is not a primary hiring consideration. To
me, an ironed shirt and brushed hair demonstrate that you care
about your presentation, and speak to your ability to adapt to a
new environment - even if it's "only" a paraprofessional position.

* Think on your feet - or fake it real good. When you're preparing
feverishly for an interview, the idea of a left-field question can
be terrifying. But remember all those articles in American
Libraries and all those ALA sessions (and the first paragraph of
this article) about the changing role of the librarian? Sometimes
that role changes on a daily basis. The only consistent thing about
my job is that it constantly surprises me, and I need to know that
you can hit a moving target. Do prepare broadly for the interview.
Do have some talking points. Don't be afraid to think out loud. I'd
far rather you consider carefully and talk around a question
intelligently than that you mumble "I don't know" without any