>> If the "alternatives" include Carbon Emacs, could you explain in
>> what aspects you think "Emacs.app is much much better" concretely?

> I've not played with Carbon Emacs enough to include it in that list.
> I was mostly referring to terminal Emacs and Aquamacs.  I was under
> the assumption that Carbon Emacs was a thing of the past, but now
> realize my assumption was most likely incorrect.

Carbon Emacs provides the most recently released version (22.1, June
2007) of GNU Emacs for Mac users.  Emacs shipped with Leopard is also
Carbon Emacs (you can complement a dummy Application bundle to run it
as a GUI app).  Also, Aquamacs Emacs is (currently) based on Carbon
Emacs.

> In the short amount of time that I've played with Carbon Emacs, I
> can say that Emacs.app (Cocoa Emacs) seems faster, and better
> integrated into the Mac UI.

Could you please explain them more concretely and in a specific way?
Does "better integrated into the Mac UI" only mean key bindings?

> I've always struggled with which text editor to recommend to new
> programmers on the Mac platform, and now feel strongly that I'd
> recommend Emacs.app.

> Initially, it would be familiar for them because all of the standard
> Mac key bindings work, but they don't get in your way if you don't
> want to use them (unlike CUA mode).  But as they realize the full
> power of Emacs, they needn't use those keys anymore.

I think providing stable and fully-fledged GNU Emacs functionality is
much much more important for the Mac Carbon port than providing some
specific style of key bindings, which can easily be customized and no
other platform ports are doing so.

> I would, however, like to see Emacs.app integrated into core GNU
> Emacs, so that I don't have to be subjected to the bleeding edge.
> That is probably a major advantage to using Carbon Emacs for now.

> Personally, I feel that the Cocoa API is the way to go since it is
> the officially blessed API from Apple, and Carbon is more of a
> holdover.  The Cocoa (NextStep) API also benefits other GNU Emacs
> platforms because it provides an alternative UI for wherever GNUStep
> can be run.

You may want to look at a related post/thread in [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-11/msg00424.html

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]