On Jul 22, 2008, at 11:59 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> The file name is: ~/Library/Preferences/Emacs.plist
>>> Could be you deleted: ~/Library/Preferences/
>>> org.gnu.AquamacsEmacs.plist
>>> ~/Library/Preferences/org.gnu.Emacs.plist ...
>
>> I deleted Emacs.plist and org.gnu.Emacs.plist, just to be sure.  I
>> have never used Aquamacs.  In any case, it didn't work.  For some
>> reason Emacs.app is defaulting to that Cursive font when it can't
>> parse my custom-set-faces font family name.
>
> You SHOULD not need to mess with those files: if you cannot solve your
> problem just be using the normal .emacs configuration, then it's a
> bug.

This is true.  But from what I can tell, the bug here is that the font
being defaulted to if a font family in custom-set-faces is not found,
is an unexpected one, rather than the platform default which should be
Monaco.

What is the behavior of the Xwindows version if a custom-set-faces
font is not found?

A related enhancement need is to accept in Emacs.app the same font
naming style that Carbon Emacs uses, so that users can share this part
of their configuration between Mac emacsen.  This should be doable
with some name-mangling.