On Aug 21, 2008, at 12:27 PM, David Reitter wrote:

> On 21 Aug 2008, at 12:07, Adrian Robert wrote:
>>
>> As stated before on the list, the defaults are a replacement for X
>> resources.  The latter ARE read on X systems when -q/Q is given.  I
>> think the reason the behavior is unexpected under NS is that unlike
>> other systems, NS emacs will WRITE into the defaults database (to
>> save user options).  The attached patch will therefore cause these
>> resources not to be read, only under NS, if -q/Q  is given.
>
> Why save the preferences at all?
>
> There is a strong group of people who want Emacs to behave in the
> same way across systems.  Would it really be a good idea if the base
> Emacs started, from version 23, saving the options at the end,
> especially since they don't go into `custom-file'.

I'd rather energies were focused on fixing bugs for now.  But if the
defaults are disruptive to that endeavor, what would be the easiest
way to stop the problem?  The patch I posted is one way.  Another way
would be to switch ns-save-options to use the customize system
(customize-save-variable), which should write it into the .emacs
file.  The defaults become read-only like X resources, and the prefs
window can be removed later with minimal disruption, since the
features would be accessible through customize.  One would need to be
careful with the face-related attributes here, I suspect.