"Eli Zaretskii" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Cc: Sun Yijiang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> From: David Kastrup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:04:34 +0200
>>
>> kpathsea, the library for most TeX systems, has a scheme where you can
>> override most environment variables on a per-application base.
>
> I know all about Kpathsea, but I don't think there's any reason to
> go to such complexities in Emacs.

I was not suggesting we implement kpathsea's search semantics.  I was
merely saying that there was already a well-established scheme for
application specific overrides of general environment variables.

And that makes HOME.emacs for such an environment variable the natural
choice.  This is not complicated at all, and I see no reason not to
just follow that practice _if_ we decide that being able to override
HOME would be a good idea.  I am not sure about that, but the
complexity of kpathsea is completely irrelevant for resolving that
question.