Matt <m...@excalamus.com> writes:

> AFAIKT, both PowerShell and cmd are MIT licensed:
> - https://github.com/microsoft/terminal
> - https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell
>
> The thought of compiling either for a GNU system is...ugh.  But maybe someone
> else has gotten them working?  Otherwise, it looks like Microsoft distributes
> a developer VM image of Windows.
>
> All together, this means there's no *technical* barrier preventing us from
> running (and hence developing for) PowerShell or cmd.

As I understand it, the code for the cmd.exe shell is not released
anywhere.

What is in the "terminal" repository mentioned above is the code for the
console host process conhost.exe, which is the server process used to
host the shell process and present it (i.e. this is the terminal and not
the shell).

That said, I imagine Wine does contain its own implementation of
cmd.exe, although I wouldn't expect it to be 100% compatible with the
real thing.

--
Morgan Willcock