On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Tom Roche wrote:
>> * is tramp writing to this file?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] 17 Mar 2001 21:18:10 +0100
> No, Tramp itself is not writing to the file, but I think the shell
> is.  If you read the documentation for ksh and tell me how to turn off
> the history, I'll put that code in Tramp.

It's not immediately obvious. I see each of two different versions in
several URLs. One position is, e.g.

http://www.ntua.gr/cgi-bin/man-cgi?ksh+1
> Command Re-entry
> The text of the last HISTSIZE (default 128) commands entered from a
> terminal device is saved in a history file. The file
> $HOME/.sh_history is used if the HISTFILE variable is not set or if
> the file it names is not writable.

which suggests that there's no way to say "no HISTFILE, please."

Perhaps one could set HISTFILE=/dev/null (or more portable
equivalent)? That would set the parameter, and it would presumable be
writable ... but I'm no *n*x guru. (You guessed !-) Or TRAMP guru--but
if you let me know where/how I could try this out, I'm willing to
test.

The other position is, e.g.

http://www.uoregon.edu/~llynch/ksh.1.html
> HISTFILE
> If this parameter is set when the shell is invoked, its value is the
> path name of the file that is used to store the command history. The
> default value is $HOME/.sh_history. If the user has appropriate
> privileges and no HISTFILE is given, then no history file is used
> (see Command Re-entry below).

which then repeats the first position. Do you have any ideas about how
to set "appropriate privileges" for the duration of the session?

> (There is already code for turning off the bash history.)

Perhaps this code might work with ksh also?

TIA, [EMAIL PROTECTED]