On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Tom Roche wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 19 Mar 2001 20:52:13 +0100

>>> What happens when you do it the second time?
>
> Unfortunately, .sh_history doesn't stay dead:

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here.  Doing the settings tells the
currently running instance of ksh to not keep a history (I hope).  If
you run a different instance of ksh, then that might like to keep a
history.  So if you want to test whether the unset's are doing the
right thing, you mustn't run Tramp at the same time, as that will
create new instances of ksh which are happily writing to .sh_history.

Maybe it's easiest to just change `unset HISTFILE' in tramp.el into
`unset HISTFILE HISTSIZE' (check that you can unset two variables with
one unset command in your ksh, though).  Then you are sure that Tramp
also tries to avoid writing the history.

If that doesn't do the trick, maybe we need to explicitly set HISTSIZE
to 0 or something.  Hm.

unset HISTFILE
HISTSIZE=0

Do these two commands help?