> Thanks for making that more clear Spencer, this is indeed what is happening.
> When I open a file which is under CVS control (i.e. there is a CVS
> subdirectory), some files become read-only.  This appears to be
> associated with file locking which should be disabled by default for
> CVS.

This is because VC does not understand that your local userid is really
the same user as your remote userid and it then decides to make the buffer
read-only even though you have write access to it (thinking you shouldn't
modify a file that belongs to someone else).

I think it's a misfeature, and it might be changed in the future.

        Stefan