Gerald Richter wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed something strange: When I preload pages under Embperl 2, $req_rec appears to be undefined later when the pages are requested. It works ok when I do not preload. I think I may have made a mistake earlier when testing, mixing up Embperl 1 and 2 handlers, because I thought all of this worked ok, but now it seems not to be working.

Do you see a similare behaviour for other globals e.g. $escmode ?

No, $escmode appears to be set for both preload and non-preload.

Also, (perhaps unrelated, don't know yet), when I tried upgrading my production server (which runs Debian Sarge, apache 1.3.33, mod_perl 1.29, perl "v5.8.4 built for i386-linux-thread-multi"), using Embperl 2 produces a segfault when starting apache. This is currently happening whether or not I preload, so I will have to do some more investigation to see what's happening there. Meanwhile I have rolled back to 1.3.6 on the server. I'll tell more once I know if this is user error or something else...

Most time such an error is because the binaries are do not fit together
(i.e. compiled with different compiler options, compiled for different Perl
versions...)

I am building apache, mod_perl, embperl etc all from source. I haven't had a chance to test this properly (since I have to bring my server down to do it and there are always people hitting it). Hopefully I will get more of a chance to play with this next week, once my new server arrives. Then I can try a clean install from scratch.

By the way, this new server will be a dual Opteron 265 (i.e. 2 x dual core = 4 CPU as far as Linux is concerned? not too sure about this). I will be trying to install Debian 64-bit. Any reason why this setup of apache1.3/mod_perl1.29/Embperl2 shouldn't work? I guess I'll find out... :-)

Incidentally, Gerald, how about that Wiki? Do you want me to register embperl.net and get it working, or would you rather just save this as something to do yourself? You said to wait, but I'd be happy to have a stab at it (and of course give you whatever admin/editor rights the software allows, I haven't played with it that much yet so I don't know the possibilities).

Thanks,

-Neil