I wonder why github even wants to change it? I think that's dumb...

On 7/29/2021 12:03 PM, Johannes Fassotte wrote:
I really wish that everyone would concentrate on improving the software instead of worrying about the name of the version that most consider as being the master. It is master since it is where the code is actually shared with everyone.   It is not beneficial to anyone to have a narrow view for the word master. There is absolutely no reason to change it to anything.

The developers are actually the masters since they hold the various development versions that get merged into what is know as the "master" used for distribution.