On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, andy pugh wrote:

> Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 14:18:10 +0000
> From: andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>
> To: EMC developers <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-developers] Encoder Diagnostics
>
> After finding that my spindle encoder had drifted, and was counting
> 686 of the 720 counts, leading to rather unconveninally-pitched
> threads, I find myself wondering if it would be sensible for the
> encoder function to set a pin to "counts since last index" on every
> index event. This could be monitored in HAL to raise a warning.
> Or is this a use-case for the "latched" pins which are only partly
> explained in the docs. (and which don't exist for Mesa encoders)

low level hardware wise, Latch_on_index is avalable on Mesa Encoder counters
so could be used to verify count. This feature is used with "home on index"
so would have to be shared with homing, that is, mod encoder count checking
would need to be disabled while homimg.

Theres also a sticky quadature error bit that will detect things like both A
and B changing at once

> --
> atp
> The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply,
> wrong.

Peter Wallace
Mesa Electronics

(\__/)