2012/2/27 Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com>:
> Mark Haynes wrote:
>>   Is linuxCNC currently funded?
> Never has been, and a number of board and other members have said "never
> will be!"
> I'm not sure I agree with that, but there has been a strong sentiment to
> not let it be
> beholden to some company.  I DO agree with that.

I am sure that it would also involve some legal dispute, because I do
not know of any legal entity existing to hold the rights/ownership for
the application. I do not remember where, but I have seen a remark
that this application has been created with a help of US government
funding, so no copyright (and thus also any ownership rights) apply to
this piece of software, so I am sure that it is not an easy answer, if
such a scenario to take over the whole project is actually possible at
all.

It seems that there are some companies that have modified this
application and are offering it with their name, but I find such an
approach very disputable in several aspects. Anyway, it does not seem
that any of those spin-offs has gained any significant awareness or
market-share, which tells me that it would most likely harm project
more than would provide the benefit (of course, that depends on many
aspects, mostly - the amounts of financing being invested).
Although it implies some drawbacks, I do agree with the opinion that
LinuxCNC should remain its current status.

There are other examples, like Yishin's company, that are using
LinuxCNC for their machines and that have developed some promising
features, like jerk-limited (rate of change of acceleration) motion
and, if I recall correctly, also implementation of NURBS (and probably
there other things that I am not aware of) and they have allowed
public access to their git repository to take this code further.

Viesturs