On Thu, 3 May 2012 12:27:21 +0200
Lars Segerlund <lars.segerl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I meant LVDT ! ....... sorry !
>
>  / Lars....
>
> 2012/5/3 Lars Segerlund <lars.segerl...@gmail.com>:
> >  Buy some on sparkfun or similar, with the righte G force range,
> > thera are a lot of them, and hooking one up on SPI or i2c is not
> > complicated.
> >
> >  The sensors for airbags are probably not right ...
> >
> >  The DIY robotics guys use them a lot as far as I can understand.
> >
> >  It will be a bugger to read though ....since you have machine
> > vibration, tool acceleration and the stiffness of the machine (
> > resonance ? ) ...
> >  Check out Variax solution .... laser measurement in realtime of the
> > lenght and deformations in the frame :-D ..... Coooool ......
> >
> >  I was thinking that hooking up a LIM or similar to a reference
> > outside the machine might give better readings ? and simpler signal
> > handling, since it gives absolute position ...
> >  It's not uncommon to have a LIM system with amplifiers lying
> > around a machine shop .
> >
> >  / regards, Lars Segerlund.

> >> Actually a high end smart phone with the new fancy nano gyros +
> >> accelerometers might just do the trick.

I think the first thing I'd try would be a mirror on the machine and a
laser at an angle. The trick will be a sensor with enough sensitivity
to get good signals. First step might be audio output, the ear is
pretty good at frequencies a machine is likely to vibrate out.
Just thinking out of the box.

Dave