On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM, EBo <e...@sandien.com> wrote:

> a restart takes an hour or more after shutdown?  Out of curiosity, what
> machine might that be, and why so long?

We have a precision lathe that refused to make parts until it had been
under pressure for more than 15 minutes.  This was to avoid thermal
issues.

Thermal issues as in:

customer: "my parts are screwed up by your crummy lathe."

lathemaker: "did you let it warm up for 15 minutes as suggested by the
manual?"

customer: "no, but your crummy lathe makes bad parts"

lathemaker: "after 15 minutes are all the parts the same size?"

customer: "yes, but ..." etc.

I think the customers finally got to them though, we got an upgrade that
doesn't do that anymore.  It was real annoying if you had to shut down for
a minute and then wait for 15 minutes before the timer timed out.