as a prerequisite for the xenomai-integration branch work, Amit and myself have
been working on producing xenomai x86 kernels and support libraries.

They seem to work fine, and first results are encouraging wrt latency.

Two kernel versions are available: one based on 2.6.38.8, and one based on
3.2.21 as supported by the latest xenomai patch set. We would be very
interested in any feedback. Both run fine for me on atoms and stock x86 boxes,
with 10.04 or 12.04.

Note this is the Xenomai x86 kernels only, patches for LinuxCNC are not yet
available.

Debian packages are in http://static.mah.priv.at/public/xenomai-debs/  for a
trial.

--

To install, fetch the .deb's, and install them with 'dpkg -i *.deb'.

latency test: can be found in /usr/lib/xenomai/latency

To run tests after installing , cd to /usr/share/libxenomai-dev/examples/native
and make. If you do this on precise, the stricter linker option ordering
requirements suggest explicit rules for sigdebug and trivial-periodic like so
in the Makefile:

rtprint: rtprint.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $? $(LDFLAGS) -o $@

sigdebug: sigdebug.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $? $(LDFLAGS) -o $@

trivial-periodic: trivial-periodic.c
        $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $? $(LDFLAGS) -o $@

---
All the work has been recorded here, and scripts for rebuilding off these repos
are available:

http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/linuxcnc-kernel.git
http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/xenomai-linuxcnc.git

fetch-and-rebuild scripts are here in case you want to work on kernel options:

http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/linuxcnc-kernel.git/blob/c7569797fffb424b128bf035e4ad3adbcf049086:/linuxcnc/fetch-and-build.sh
http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/linuxcnc-kernel.git/blob/22054b4e6d9a2c800be911a6b361a62189774171:/linuxcnc/fetch-and-build-2.6.sh
http://git.mah.priv.at/gitweb/xenomai-linuxcnc.git/blob/refs/heads/linuxcnc-v2.6.1:/linuxcnc/fetch-and-build.sh

----

The packaging still leaves to be desired and rough edges remain - experienced
hands willing to help polish this are very welcome.

All build steps are documented in the linuxcnc subdirectories in the above
repos.

- Michael