Hello, all,

I have an everything-server here that runs an old version of Ubuntu LinuxCNC, mostly for historical (hysterical??) reasons. Kernel is 2.6.32-122-rtai

I just had to replace the hardware due to the old one getting flaky. The new one is a Dell Optiplex 980 with an Intel i5 CPU, and the system clock drifts badly in the negative direction. I had been running ntpdate daily by cron, and this system has a negative time jump of about 12 seconds when that runs. This causes dovecot to kill itself. (Doesn't seem to mind positive time jumps.)

I was never able to get ntpd to run on this, probably due to the rtai kernel.

Right now, I changed to running ntpdate hourly, and it gets a -0.5 second correction, which might be just fine.

Does anybody have an idea on how to get the clock to be more accurate (without changing out the CPU clock crystal)?

Thanks,

Jon