On 03/14/2018 08:16 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Hello, all,

A friend locally has arranged to buy a Hardinge CHNC-I for a manufacturing project.
I know a few people here have retrofitted these machines.
This one has a General Numerics control, but it seems to have Parker servo amps and MTS brushless motors.  I'm guessing these may not be original.  It still has the Fanuc spindle drive.

He is in a garage shop environment, so likely we will replace the spindle drive with a VFD capable of running off single phase.  The Parker amps are analog velocity servos, and take single phase power.

Is the spindle ac or dc?   I have a pm Fanuc ac spindle on a project machine that I plan to try with a VFD. Toshiba claims that their drive will drive most pm 3 phase motors.

Can anybody be good enough to send me their configs file set?  I know how to get the axes and spindle working, but have never dealt with a tool turret.

I used John T's setup on mine. The only caveat is that it does not verify the tool number after the turret settles, mine will on rare occasions at first start skip to the next tool and try and work with the wrong tool.

We think the machine is set up for the 16C collet, and has the air collet closer.

16C spindles have A2-5 noses, 5C have threaded as far as I have seen.

Ed.