On 09/12/2018 03:34 PM, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
What is wrong with NML? If it doesn't have some needed process is it not
able to be extended?

The problem, AS I UNDERSTAND IT, is that NML treats the entire real time state of the system as one atomic block. Works fine on any system with one memory. So, multi-core systems are fine. But, if you want to extend something that uses NML communication across the network, it has to send 20+K of real time state across the network at the servo rate. That IS a problem. NML can ONLY send the WHOLE real time state. The feature of zmq (apparently they have now converged on one way to spell it) is that it can send ONLY the part that a requester asks for. So, if the remote thing only needs a few variables out of the whole real time state, ONLY those variables will be sent.

This is my understanding of the major feature of zmq that they want to use. There MAY be a talk by one of the MK developers about this that is more authoritative and goes into vastly more detail. We had at least 2 MK meetings at Tormach a few years ago, and there were some talks by Michael Haberler and Alex Rossler, among others, that went WAY over my head. I think some of these talks should be online.

Jon