I think I would dial in a hole or a boss with a test indicator. Write down
the xy coordinates. Run a probe routine to determine where the probe says
the hole/boss is. Calculate the error. Write the error on a sticky pad.
Stick the sticky pad on the control face and use those values to set xy
when you probe a feature on a part. You would only needing orient the probe
the same way each time. Then the error between the probe tip and the
spindle center line would not be important.
Maybe I haven't followed your discussion accurately but if you would have a
problem with the wires using Ken's procedure how would you handle spinning
the spindle at 100 rpm or more?
Thanks
Stuart