Good evening also to you, Jérémie!

I think I can quickly top-post and thank you for your very encouraging
reply. This reads all (surprisingly) nice and encouraging.

Steffen

On 14.11.21 21:23, Jérémie Tarot wrote:
Good evening Steffen,

Le dim. 14 nov. 2021 à 15:51, Steffen Möller <steffen_moel...@gmx.de> a
écrit :

You can find it at https://crowdin.com/project/linuxcnc
I had a look. Somewhat unfortunate but maybe a good test case is that
the master branch has the asciidoc .txt files renamed to .adoc files.
The motivation was the github allows for a preview of asciidoc, even
integrating the images. How does the communication happen between that
website and the LinuxCNC github? All manual, right?

Crowdin has a GH integration which pulls and push from and to selected
branch(es).

Folks there kindly offered a free enterprise account for the project.
As a Debian developer this is refreshing to read. Their legalese is
quite extensive, though. Personally I was not convinced. My main concern
is the apparent lack of synchronicity between the reference
documentation in github (which I presume is meant to remain the
reference, right?) and its translations. But these .po files from the
po4a project that Petter suggests I have not yet seen applied on larger
texts, so, I cannot judge, it is just the impressions I get from what I
think to know/read.

As a Debian advocate and professional user for 20 years, those are all
maters I put at the top of my priorities!

GH integration, standard formats support, and "openness" of the platform
made it look clean enough to my Free eyes, even if I'd have preferred a
self hostable FOSS solution.

Also had a look at weblate but it didn't seem a good enough option, feature
and UX wise, as I remember it. Restructuration and all the work done may
also make weblate more suitable than it was... Note that nothing prevents
to migrate to something else later! Ain't that the beauty of open
standards?! 🥰

Crowdin also shines with great features and UI for translators which I feel
is important to bring comrades from everywhere to the table...

All that combined I am not too much of a fan to outsource the
translation to an external service if that is not pulling from github.
Frankly, github should have some appropriate translation services
included.

I believe that is just what Crowdin provides, with all the workflow and
collaborative feature you'd expect, plus glossaries, screenshots
management, etc.

Any of yall interested please create yourself an account there, join the
project and give it a short discovery round. I'd love to get your hands on
opinions. Admin privileges will of course be shared so you can test both
front and back office.

For now, the in-file translations with the ":lang:" tags and
the .po solution I find superior.

Actually, Crowdin gives all its power with gettexted project (and other
translation formats), but also provides with "raw" text files.
Plus, folks there are easy to reach, 24h a day, and willing to improve
their native support for doc formats like rst and adoc.

I'll do my best to refresh my mind and memory around all this in the next
couple of days as it's been too long since I put this aside. Meanwhile,
please give crowdin a go and throw all the questions that come to your
sharp brains.

TY