Hi Andy,

On 10.02.22 22:49, Andy Howell wrote:

On 2/10/22 06:10, Steffen Möller wrote:

On 10.02.22 07:28, Phill Carter wrote:

On 10 Feb 2022, at 4:14 pm, Andy Howell <a...@gamubaru.com> wrote:

On 2/9/22 14:46, andy pugh wrote:
On Wed, 9 Feb 2022 at 20:21, Andy Howell <a...@gamubaru.com> wrote:

My background is in c/c++ development under UNIX/Linux. I know
bit of
python. I don't have the experience to work on the low level
internals.
How about this one?
https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/issues/1438

A text search on the pin name would find the right part of the code,
and would let you find where the associated internal variable is
updated.

(This is internals, but with code to copy from)
Thanks. That sounds like a good problem to start with. I will have
a look at the code and comment under the issue.
I do have a PR ready to submit but I am happy to hold off.
That sounds so nice and so wrong at the same time. I suggest to submit
the PR and you have already found a reviewer.

@Andy, I am currently on a mission to render the C/C++ sources
cppcheck-clean. You see a few PRs on this already - and one issue that I
could not solve with a quick patch that I think is a bug. I personally
use this to get acquainted with the code base a bit more - have started
with src/hal/* and src/emc/* and have just about completed that, I
think. But there is more.

Many thanks and greetings
Steffen

Steffen,

I could certainly work on that. I just compiled LinuxCNC for the first
time in a very long time. There were lots of compiler warnings,
particularly around strncpy and snprintf. I think those would be worth
looking into. It would be nice to fix the code to remove the warnings,
or turn warnings off where needed when they are clearly a false
positive. For example,

hal/user_comps/mb2hal/mb2hal_init.c:187:55: warning: ‘%02d’ directive
output may be truncated writing between 2 and 10 bytes into a region
of size 7 [-Wformat-truncation=]
  187 |     snprintf(section, sizeof(section)-1, "TRANSACTION_%02d",
mb_tx_num);
      |                                                       ^~~~
hal/user_comps/mb2hal/mb2hal_init.c:187:42: note: directive argument
in the range [0, 2147483647]
  187 |     snprintf(section, sizeof(section)-1, "TRANSACTION_%02d",
mb_tx_num);

The local 'section' buffer there is 20 bytes. Although it might never
be an issue in practice, increasing the buffer size will make sure it
never is and remove the warning. Maybe we can get to a point where we
can treat warnings as errors.

Does that sound worth pursuing?

Very much so, in my humble opinion. Many thanks!

Steffen