Gentlemen,
  Of the 5 machines I have put LinuxCNC on every one was closed loop servo
with LinuxCNC tuning the already tuned closed loop. The machines all ran
just fine. One of them was configured using the 'encoder' feedback
connected to the P and D and a linear scale connected to I. This machine
ran and moved just fine tuning using P and D and final position using I.
I have always wondered what it would be like to tune using a dumb amp and
only LinuxCNC in the loop. Probably not much better than I had.
The only stepper experience was a six axis robot. Chris Radek configured
three axes, we clamped a sharpie to the end effector and drew the LinuxCNC
example program with me holding a piece of cardboard up to the sharpie. I
drew the tool path on the cardboard.
thanks
Stuart

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 3:28 PM Torsten Curdt via Emc-developers <
emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> > > Could you do e.g. rigid tapping when there is a LinuxCNC and another
> PID
> > > loop on the motor driver?
> >
> > Granite devices has a good description of dual feedback loops (and a
> > mention for linuxcnc). The inner velocity feedback loop is normally
> closed
> > on the drive and the outer position loop by Linuxcnc
> > https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Dual-loop_feedback_position_control
>

> Wow! That's great. Very interesting. Thanks for the link.
>
> That said - that's a dual loop with two different encoders.
> That's not really the same dual loop when you have LinuxCNC and a Closed
> Loop Stepper/Servo Driver.

Addressee is the intended audience.
If you are not the addressee then my consent is not given for you to read
this email furthermore it is my wish you would close this without saving or
reading, and cease and desist from saving or opening my private
correspondence.
Thank you for honoring my wish.