In the 1988/1989 timeframe I ran a Mori Seiki (SL25?) with a Fanuc control.
I built a tool holder to hold 3 tools on one tool station on the turret. I
had a spot drill, drill and small boring bar mounted. The tools could be
varied as I used small round shank collet holders.
Ex.
T0101 would be tool station 1 offset 1
This would spot drill and move back (Z positive to a clearance point)

T0111 would be tool station 1 offset 11
This would (without the turret rotating) drill the hole and move back (Z
positive to a clearance point)

T0121 would be tool station 1 offset 21
This would (without the turret rotating) bore the hole and move back (Z
positive to a clearance point)

\Ex.

One lathe I ran (I wish I could remember what the control was) would allow
me to change the value of the offset while the control was running. The
offset change would be applied (interpolated) during the running of the
next block of code. The control would read the offset value at the
beginning of every line of code and interpolate to the end point while
applying the offset value. I thought this a very useful feature. Never saw
it again.

Most of the controls I ran have had wear offsets available. I never used
them. I thought they were confusing and just one more opportunity for human
error and forgetfulness (maybe this is just my way of self
protection/compensation). I probably would not use wear offsets today. I
don't see the point.

Just my 2 cents contribution
Stuart

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 8:57 PM Feral Engineer <theferalengin...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Siemens controls use tool edges to control offsets for each tool. Every
> tool starts with edge 1
>
> T1 D1 is tool 1 data 1
> T="end mill" D1
> T3 D1
> Etc
>
> You can have like 10 offsets per tool
>
> On a lathe there are two ways you can have your offsets. T0101 as an
> example could either be station 1 / offset 1, wear 1 or T0101 could be
> station 1, offset 1 / wear 1
>
> Another example would be T0210
>
> Station 2
> Offset 10
> Wear 10
>
> Or
>
> Station 2
> Offset 2
> Wear 10
>
> Depends on parameter setting. On a Mitsubishi, i think it's 1098. I forget
> what it is on fanuc. I'd have to look.
>
> Phil T.
> The Feral Engineer
>
> Check out my LinuxCNC tutorials, machine builds and other antics at
> www.youtube.com/c/theferalengineer
>
> Help support my channel efforts and coffee addiction:
> www.patreon.com/theferalengineer
>
> Order one of the coolest label makers on the market at
> http://labelworks.epson.com, use coupon code "theferalengineer" and
> receive
> 20% off of your order 🙂
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2022, 9:46 PM Chris Morley <chrisinnana...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Different edges of the same tool is done by having different offsets, not
> > tool number.
> > t11 = tool pocket 1 offset 1
> > t12 = tool pocket 1 offset 2
> >
> > There is also
> >  T111 = tool 1 offset 1 wear offsets 1
> >
> > To pick a particular tool for a pocket in Gcode is not standard on a
> lathe.
> > I'm quoting Okuma, I believe Fanuc is similar but I'm sure there are
> > exceptions of course.
> >
> > Anyways the problem of the GUI knowing what offset/wear offset is
> > currently set is still the same.
> >
> > Chris

Addressee is the intended audience.
If you are not the addressee then my consent is not given for you to read
this email furthermore it is my wish you would close this without saving or
reading, and cease and desist from saving or opening my private
correspondence.
Thank you for honoring my wish.