I am 99% sure it only restarts at the line with what ever modes are present.
It certainly doesn't go back through the program.
In fact that is one of the big drawbacks of it.

________________________________
From: gene heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
Sent: July 28, 2022 5:27 PM
To: emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: Re: [Emc-developers] [Hosted Weblate] New comment inLinuxCNC/LinuxCNC
Documentation

On 7/28/22 06:37, Hans Unzner wrote:
> Maybe
> will restart the program at the following line. --> will continue executing
> the program at the following line.
> ?
I'm not happy with this, the word restart is IMO correct because the
state of the machine
can only be determined by scanning and re-executing all the mode changes
that have
occurred since the file was initially ran, or at least that's how I've
understood it since
that "start from line" was added several years ago.  The motion code may
not be
re-executed, but the mode changes it implies are.

Am I mistaken?

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis