On 9/12/22 11:08, Steffen Moeller wrote:

Am 10.09.2022 um 17:33 schrieb andy pugh:
On Sat, 10 Sept 2022 at 11:47, Steffen Möller via Emc-developers
<emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
The documentation typically abbreviates axes in pin names with capital 'N's,
and joints with capital 'L's, if my short term memory serves me right.
It's the other way round. joint.N.. (Number 0-8) and axis.L....
(Letter XYZABCUVW)

:) Yes.

Not so urgent. Another thing is the representation of the spindle that
sometimes is S and at other times is N.

Anyway - sorry for the noise.

Steffen
Spindles Steffen, are assumed to be #0 if not specified, but if more than one on a
given machine, s/b addressed as sn, where a base 0 n=0 to 9 enumeration
is assumed. Not necessarily in enum order.

That is AIUI.

Corrections welcomed as I have no multiple spindle machines.

So the added ability to control additional spindles has not required me to make any
changes in years old configs.

Your original quote from the existing docs however, might benefit from a better explanation.
The words concise and ambiguity come to mind. The ambiguity needs removed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis