Firmware is always separate from kernel unless you build the firmware into the
kernel image. Usually, you would only do this for kernel options that you
decide to have built-in (i.e. CONFIG_DRM_I915=y) instead of as modules (=m)
however distributions don't do this and instead build as modules. When building
firmware into the kernel image, you still need to have the firmware installed
separately, then after the image is built, you can discard the firmware files.
Reasons you may want to do this is so you can have a high resolution kernel
console available before the kernel is able to load modules (i.e. before udev
is loaded but you want kernel modesetting) but if you're not a kernel hacker,
really no need.

Probably too much info but now you know!

Alec

On Monday, October 24, 2022 at 10:43:52 PM UTC, Jon Elson
<el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

On 10/24/22 15:28, Alec Ari via Emc-developers wrote:
> Jon,
>
> You can actually grab the sid 6.0 kernel and drop it on Bullseye and perhaps
> even Buster:

Yes, I actually did this on a Bullseye install.  I also had
to install the firmware files that didn't come in along with
the new kernel for some reason.  Now, the graphics all works!

Jon