On 11/14/22 18:43, m...@mattshaver.com wrote:
On 2022-11-14 15:54, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:

In order to support testing LinuxCNC on RTAI the buildbot uses custom
VMs which i created a long time ago and maintain poorly.  It all runs
on hardware in my house, on my local network, so I am reluctant to
open it up to a more collaborative mode of development/maintenance.

Is there some way of replicating your home based setup (or obtaining a compatible hardware/software environment) by contracting with a commercial hosting company, or co-location facility, or something like that? If this could be done for a reasonable amount of money, I'd be happy to pay for it, or at least chip in. I can't do much to help, but I can spend money!

Hosting the hardware is relatively little effort.

Most of the effort is in the initial creation of new builder VMs (i.e. to build on new platforms), and ongoing updates to the buildmaster.

These tasks would still fall on us of the LinuxCNC project, rather than on whatever hosting provider we use.

The lack of builders newer than Buster in the buildbot is due to a version-skew issue within the buildbot project: to support newer builders I need to upgrade the buildmaster from the current (ancient) 0.8 version to the new 2.x version. Again, this is work that a hosting provider can't help with. I have been working on it on and off, and I've made some progress, but it's not ready to deploy yet.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky