> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 01. Dezember 2022 um 21:07 Uhr
> Von: "andy pugh" <bodge...@gmail.com>
> An: "EMC developers" <emc-developers@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Betreff: Re: [Emc-developers] Eye candy is important - Titan got a new German
> friend - want that reaction for a LinuxCNC controller
>
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 23:31, Steffen Moeller <steffen_moel...@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> I consider all our users to be somehow part of our project and am
> > agnostic about the interface they are using. From how I see it, if
> > PyQtVCP does something better than QtVCP then QtVCP gets some
> > encouragement and ideas on how to improve and vice versa. Both GUIs
> > should be as easy to install and use as possible.
>

> We already see users getting confused about whether they are using PyVCP
> (hand-coded XML input files)
>  https://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/gui/pyvcp.html
> Or GladeVCP (more capable, more widgets, has Python handlers. designed
> using a GUI (which is horrible, unintiutive and crashes a lot)
> https://linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/gui/gladevcp.html
>
> How are integrators (ie, GUI / Panel designers) meant to pick between QtVCP
> and the very similarly named QtPyVCP? They do the same thing,
> fundamentally.

One problem (that I can eventually help with) is the documentation that does
not mention PyQtVCP even once. You just gave a very nice introduction for the
other VCPs (better than what I recall to have read in the documentation) that
we should extend for PyQtVCP, which would be a paragraph and a reference to the
external documentation.

Users will start with the GUI that looks the best, convinced that someone who
too special care to make something look nice will also have cared for the bits
underneath, and it is the only thing they can evaluate at that point. If we
have a couple of good GUIs that are easy to change then it does not matter
which one a user starts with. Let the confusion begin, I mean, let the many
GUIs (or GUI building blocks) come.

Best,
Steffen