As you may know I have been desiring  a better way to interface user interfaces to LinuxCnc and strongly feel that there needs to be a big change in the way this is being done at the present time. I also feel that there is way to much resistance by the LinuxCnc developers to implement what many of us may see as a absolute requirement. That requirement is secure distributed networking interfaces for all user interfaces and implemented as plugins for LinuxCnc.

As such I would like to see plugin code developed to allow user interfaces to have full control of LinuxCnc, along with consolidated status and errors with plugin interfaces for Python, C/C++ and NML.  This will allow all user interfaces to be developed as plugins and use the secure distributed network interface ability to link into LinnuxCnc via ether local or remote network connections. LinuxCnc provided plugin code would set all default commands that could be excepted along with a standard way of sending all available status info back to the user and also any errors that may have been encountered.

With  such a plugin system for user interfaces there is no need to include anything related to user interface development withing LinuxCnc code itself since those are all handled as completely separate projects by the various UI developers.  All such developers comply with the default LinuxCnc plugin requirements but also have the ability to do some customizing. Such a system is not to difficult to implement for LinuxCnc version 10 since all that has to be done is for LinuCnc developers to build the code for the UI plugin interfaces and do some cleanup work to remove the nonessential UI code that is presently contained in LinuxCnc.

I don't understand why I see so much resistance in getting such a relatively simple thing done by the experts in LinuxCnc development. Everyone knows that distributed networking is extremely viable so there should be no reason not to implement this concept for interfacing with UI's. You cannot keep on adding UI development things to LinuxCnc without it becoming a big big mess. I think to do so is just due to hardheadedness.

Lets develop the UI plugin interface concept for LinuxCnc version 10 that allows UI interfaces to run as a distributed data system and which at the same time simplifies maintaining LinuxCnc a thousand fold and also reducing the size of its footprint.

Its up you, the LinuxCnc developers and also the UI developers to  get started on implementing something like this for LinuxCnc version 10! You are all the experts and developing the standard code for this is likely not difficult.  For those of us who are somewhat on the outside the development group we will have to do less customizing  work by not having to customize LinuxCnc to suit our desires and which causes a great deal of  update difficulties.

When you look at history there have been a number of warnings that this needed to be done a long time ago. One such example was the split and development of Machinekit which I feel was the direct result of developers being to stubborn to explore other points of view and their potential long term benefits. Just think about how much was lost by these two teams not being able to work together to resolve issues.