I have just pushed a feature branch (andypugh/mesa_modbus) to the LinuxCNC
github.

It uses the Mesa FPGA UARTs (specifically pktUART) to offer real-time
modbus connection directly to a Mesa card.

Docs are here:
https://github.com/LinuxCNC/linuxcnc/blob/andypugh/mesa_modbus/docs/src/drivers/mesa_modbus.adoc

Please let me know of anything that you feel you need to know that the docs
omit.

At the moment you will find mesa_modbus.c and the modcompile script in
linuxcnc-dev/src/hal/drivers/mesa_hostmot2/modbus along with some sample
configuration files.

Pin assignments and names are compiled-in rather than being determined at
load time.

--
atp
"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed