Petter;

Dummy questions:

I only have 1 machine actually using pid's, my cnc'd Grizzly G0704.
My one pass at trying to do it by hand from the recipe in the man page wasn't 100% successful, leaving me with a tiny hunt of about .0005" at about 1/2 hertz. Axis Z.

This machine also has an A axis, not always mounted and hooked up, currently dismounted but not disconnected as there's no way to disconnect w/o making a completely new set of .ini and .hal files. We really need a way to add or subtract an axis on the fly without writing a new config.

But that is just a comment. But as long as is there, it sure needs tuning. I can run much faster than it is allowed to, but will crowbar its psu if it overshoots because of the motor armature inertia. I have a hal programmed turn-around in the spindle so I can reverse it from 3000 to -3000 and back in around 350 ms, but not worked out how to duplicate that for the A. Yet...

That 4th axis is a clone BS-1, sorta big for a G0704, currently configured as axis A. It has an estate gate servo motor with a high worm ratio drive, hooked to the worm of the BS-1, so its both slow, and servo-wise, which has a huge armature mass to control so it overshoots easily. Driven by a pwmgen and an auto seat motor controller, and must be driven slow enough that the pid can slow it as the position is approached, slow enough it does not overshoot because if it has to reverse, its too fast, and crowbars its psu. No real damage, but the psu takes around 2 minutes to cool before it comes out of the overload shutdown. I really need to make a different worm motor setup.

All that description leads to: can I edit your script for this 4th axis?

Reading between the lines, I assume the linuxcnc its going to tune is running so it can pick vars from the running but idle linuxcnc? Assumptions prompted by the fact that I configure so machine power is all off if F2 is not enabled. Your script has no overrides that I can see.

Thanks Petter.  Take care & stay well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis