We have a second story, weather protected 3m site. Ground plane measures
6.1m x 7.3m.  NSA measurements always were close to the 4 dB limit at 30MHz
in horizontal polarization, all higher frequencies had no problems in
vertical or horizontal polarizations.  The 30MHz trouble was attributed to
marginal ground plane area.

However - when we started using the volumetric method of SA measurements
problems were found.  Using this method, the antenna is moved to various
locations encompassed by the swept volume of the EUT when rotated on the
turntable. This brought our antenna (now broadband instead of dipole) much
closer to the edges of the ground plane.  Note the discontinuity at the
edges of our ground plane were huge since it was about 3 meters above
ground/earth level.

This led to a current, expensive project of constructing a new weather
protected OATs. New ground plane dimensions are 9.75m x 17m. I have hopes of
this site meeting NSA at both 3m and 10m.  This is still much smaller than
17 x 20m dimension recommended by someone else here, but exceeds the freznel
ellipse and is much bigger than listed in CISPR16 (although CISPR doesn't to
my knowledge call for volumetric testing, which seems more stringent).

The new site ground plane will be within 4 inches of ground level. I don't
plan to try to bond the interior ground plane to earth unless there is
trouble meeting NSA.

I will know the outcome of this project in 4-6 weeks. For the $ involved, it
had better be successful!

Best Regards,
Mike Fahrion
mfahr...@bb-elec.com