Peter,

After first making sure the RES BW and VIDEO BW are 9-10 kHz throughout the
range (more than once the BW on my analyzer has been higher than what I set
it to because I increased sweep or span and had BW in the AUTO setting),
you might consider the following:

Look for broken cables in the chain. Try making the measurements inside the
screen room using a known "good" short cable.  If the readings are low the
way you expect them to be, there may be an open shield or bad connection in
one of the cable/cable adapters that gets the LISN signal to outside the
screen room.

If you connect outside cable via a feedthrough BNC or N connector mounted
on the screen room wall, make sure the feedthrough is not the kind that has
an insulating washer between shell and where the mounting nut screws on.

When the analyzer is outside the screen room and connected to the LISN
signal, try connecting the instrument ground to the outside wall of the
screen room using a 20-50 cm length of wide braid.  I remember this being
helpful once in the 10kHz - 150 kHz region, can't remember if it helped at
higher frequencies but it's easy to try.  Your LISN and analyzer may be on
entirely different circuits at different ground potentials and this test
should let you know.

If your screen room supply is not filtered and your AC line is noisy you
should expect low frequency emissions.  Install a commercial sample line
filter between inside screen room mains and LISN AC feed, making sure you
place filter can on metal surface of wall or floor and that you use short
leads (<.5m) between wall and filter and LISN and filter.  If the readings
improve you should consider getting a screen room filter.

If you have a screen room filter and the inside filter helps the situation,
your screen room filter may need service or replacement - but first check
all connections for looseness or wear.

Do you use an in-line spike or surge protector at the analyzer input?  If
so, try making your measurement without it -  the diodes fail in these
devices and as I recall we had a noise problem in the past with one of
these failures.

That's all I can  remember about similar problems in various labs over the
years.  Hope it helps, and please share the solution when you find it.

Best regards

Tom Cokenias
EMC and RF Approvals Consultant