Greetings all,

Last week I had an interesting experience I thought was worth sharing with
the discussion group.  It's all about anti-static insulating tape, which
sounds oxymoronic to me.

Currently, in my company, we use several styles of tape for safety
insulation, both in design of transformers and on circuit boards.  One of
our outsource suppliers requested the use of 3M #5419 polyimide tape to
replace 3M #1205 polyimide tape.  This alternate tape has anti-static
properties and the reason for the request was that they wanted to reduce the
possibility of static discharge damaging nearby solid-sate electronics.  A
noble cause indeed, but I was immediately concerned because "anti-static"
indicates to me measurable conductivity and not true insulation.  Instead of
dismissing the request out of hand, I decided to check it out.

The 3M tape #5419 is high temperature tape formulated specifically for
solder masking.  It is not represented as an insulating tape by 3M Co. or by
UL.  3M polyimide (Kapton) tapes actually listed for insulating applications
are under UL file number E17385.  This file lists a large number of
insulating tapes among which are the only versions of Kapton that are
recognized for electrical use, 3M tapes #92 and #1205.

You may review the UL yellow card here:

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name
=OANZ2.E17385&ccnshorttitle=Insulating+Tape+-+Component&objid=1073766682&cfg
id=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073766513&sequence=1

If this long hyperlink gets broken up in email, you will need to reconstruct
it in your web browser.  Alternatively you may search UL's certification
database for E173865 at:

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/gfilenbr.html

Just to be sure, I called the 3M Helps line (800) 364-3577 and they gave me
the Industrial Tape & Specialties Div. (800) 362-3550 who handles the #5419
tape.  These folks were completely unfamiliar with electrical questions I
was asking and passed me on to the 3M Electrical Products Div. (800)
245-3573.  Here, I was told #5419 has never been evaluated for any sort of
electrical application.  I was also told this tape achieves its low static
characteristic by either coating or embedding the tape with conductive
particles.  Since these particles directly conflict with our need for
electrical insulating properties, 3M tapes #40, #42, #5413 and #5419 may not
be used for electrical insulating tape.

So, my initial feeling was correct, but now I am concerned that when I say
Kapton tape can be used in an application, I have to make myself clear that
it's the correct kind of Kapton tape.

Regards to all,

-doug

Douglas E. Powell, Compliance Engineer
Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
mailto:doug.pow...@aei.com

This message, including any attachments, may contain information that is
confidential and proprietary information of Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.
The dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message or any of
its attachments is strictly prohibited without the express written consent
of Advanced Energy Industries, Inc.