I read in !emc-pstc that Rich Nute <ri...@sdd.hp.com> wrote (in
<200204262205.paa10...@epgc264.sdd.hp.com>) about 'EMC and Class 2
equipment', on Fri, 26 Apr 2002:

>Hi John:
>
>>   >Ground connections is usually nice to have when dealing with EMC. But what
>>   >about EMC and a class 2 (double insulation) power supply (shall comply
>> with
>>   >MIL-STD-461E)  ..... I'm thinking on, what to do with the regularly
>> Y-caps,
>>   >does it really have any meaning with these caps when ground is absent?
>>
>>   No, it has no meaning. A Y-cap is earthed/grounded at one end. If there
>>   is no earth/ground, there is no Y-cap, by definition.
>
>No.
>
>According to IEC 384 (1981)
>
>    "Capacitor of Class Y
>
>    "A capacitor of a type suitable for use in situations where
>    failure of the capacitor could lead to danger of electric
>    shock."

That was the formal definition in the component standard 20 years ago.
Now we have sub-classes Y1 to Y4. Y capacitors can be used in locations
where neither side is grounded, but in the OP's context, grounding is
involved.

>A Y-cap can be used between primary and secondary of a Class II
>product and it is still designated a Y-cap.  Such construction
>is not uncommon for EMC suppression in Class II products.

How does that suppress emissions? It seems to me that they would be
encouraged.

>Y-caps of relatively small values are also used across the
>isolation barrier of a modem, e.g., from TNV circuits to SELV
>circuits.  In such applications, the Y-cap is not connected to
>the primary circuit and is not connected to ground.  It is a
>signal-carrying component used in a situation where failure of
>the capacitor could lead to danger of electric shock (from the
>telephone line).

I can't find any Y-rated components of the type you imply. What values
are involved?

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!