Wale,

There aren't any hard document requirements that I know of but practically
this is a bad idea.

Putting components (esp EMI filters) on the backplane is generally a bad idea
for a few reasons:  The first is (as pointed out by Jeff Collins) reliability
and availability.  You don't want to bring a unit out of service to change the
backplane.  Kind of creates availability issues.  Other issues could easily
arise such as - maybe your EMI filter doesn't work and you need to redesign
it.  You just rev'ed your backplane.  Woo-hoo.  T&V gets a major
setback...it's just an ugly situation.

Here's an approach I used at my last job where I was the guy for compliance
and reliability/availability (don't worry, company & product are gone so I'm
not revealing any secrets here).  We designed the backplane from the get-go to
accept rear daughtercards for EMI filters, I/O cables/filters, and the like.
This allowed for easy replacement, re-work, and redesign of filters and active
circuits when needed but still kept the circuits in the 'out of the way'
locations on the back side of the backplane.  The other benefits of daughter
card was the ability to manipulate ground planes and filtering as desired
without impacting impedances or routing on the backplane.  Also, the real
estate needed for a connector is much less than the real estate needed for
actual circuitry so the layout guys stay happy(er) too.

Just make sure that whatever you do, you do in a redundant fashion so you
don't bring the system down when you have to change a part.

Best Regards,
-Dave Heald

>>> wale aderemi <walest...@yahoo.com> 02/03/04 01:06PM >>>

Please I need a document or requirement form either US(NEBS, etc)  or
International(ETSI, etc)  that specifically states that a backplane must be
passive or free of  components.

My employer started by putting an eprom on the backplane, and now due to EMI
issues (and space consrains) wants to put an EMI power line filter consisting
of capacitors, Inductors and Resistors on the backplane.

I am resisting, and I have been challenged to show any document that says this
is unacceptable.

Thanks,

Wale Aderemi

Do you Yahoo!?

This email has been scanned for computer viruses.

This email has been scanned for computer viruses.

Visit our web site at:  http://www.ieee-pses.org/