From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Ken
Javor
Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 7:14 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Request for info on CE Mark penalties

In the USA, FCC CE and RE limits for digital equipment were first
derived as
described in CBEMA Report ESC5/77/29.  CE limits were based on
measurements
of victim radio sensitivity below 30 MHz, and RE limits were based on
EIA
specs for radio receiver sensitivity above 30 MHz.

In other words, just as Mr. Woodgate states.  I saw nothing about
margins.
Instead, the measurement methods were chosen to provide suitable
accuracy.
Thus, for instance, the 30 MHz break for CE/RE measurements.  30 MHz was
stated to be the lowest frequency at which reasonably accurate RE
measurements could be made at three meters.  Analysis predicted that the
48
dBuV CE limit was sufficient to protect against RE below 30 MHz.  The
limits
were placed just as Mr. Woodgate states, to minimize EMI complaints
under
typical but not all conditions.  The 450 kHz lower end of FCC
measurements
encompassed the MW AM band plus the 455 kHz IF of AM band radios.  In
Europe, the lower frequency was 150 kHz because of 150 kHz - 300 kHz LW
AM
band usage.

In this country we have LORAN navigation in use near the coasts, but it
was
deemed economically unsound to mandate that all office equipment meet CE
limits to protect a few coastal radio victims.

> From: rehel...@mmm.com
> Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 02:49:02 -0500
> To: emc-p...@ieee.org
> Subject: RE: Request for info on CE Mark penalties
>
> Dave, I have been trying for some time now to find out just exactly
how
> limits lines were derived. Can you point me to a study/report/data
that can
> show me (or more importantly, others here at work) just how the limits
were
> derived? No one seems to be able to.
>
> Bob Heller
> 3M EMC Laboratory, 76-1-01
> St. Paul, MN 55107-1208
> Tel:  651- 778-6336
> Fax:  651-778-6252
> =========================
>

> drcuthbert@micron
> .com
> Sent by:                                                   To
> emc-p...@ieee.org         <john_t...@bose.com>
> <emc-p...@ieee.org>
> cc
> 08/01/2005 11:53
> AM                                                    Subject
> RE: Request for info on CE Mark
> penalties
>

> John,
>
> the consideration of penalties is a form of consequentialist ethics
that
> focuses on "us". A higher form (in my opinion) is to focus on the
> consequences to "the other." In this case, the other is society. As
you
> know, the EMC limits are not arbitrary; they are based on the
interference
> potential to EM communications. So one can consider that shipping a
product
> that exceeds the EMC limits could potentially harm society.
>
> One can take this one step further and consider that a product that is
> under the EMC limits can still potentially harm society, but that it
is not
> as harmful as a product that exceeds the EMC limits. In this case we
can
> site rule based ethics by proclaiming that we meet the EMC rules and
> therefore we have done all that we are required to do. These two
> conflicting ethical positions could make for a long and interesting
> discussion.
>
> Dave Cuthbert
> Micron Technology

John