Some of the articles I'd read in some magazine or other (copies available if
you know Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman), stated some equipment designers were
paying extraordinarily close attention to maintaining the phase relationships
between channels and between voltage and current, as signal passed through a
system. Claims were made that doing so improved the accuracy of the reproduced
sound.

I heard stories in the early 1980s of people standing around rooms, dropping a
set of keys onto a glass coffee table and recording it, then everyone else
closing their eyes while someone made them guess if the next sound they heard
sound was recorded or live. Folklore to people like me, but gospel to some
audiophiles.

Peter Tarver