I second that !!!! Personal experience.

Often I give the advice to get rid of all these grounds and just create one
full continuous ground plane

including DGND AGND SGND and so on. Then customer comes back and has read
manufacturers recommendations for a chip and ignored my advice, only to fail
again.

I wonder how the big chip manufacturers application guides are made up.
Certainly not with EMI in mind.

Many times the performance of the system (bits or S/N ratio) also improves afte
creating a ground plane.

There is one situation however, where separate grounds come into view. (rule of
thumb) Once the ratio of biggest voltage/current in the  design exceeds 10^5.
This happens normally only in power systems (stepper motors / smps / frequency
regulated motor drives) or in extreme low signal processing ( uV / nA) systems.
Care should be taken that both grounds actually become ONE for
out-of-functional (=EMI) frequencies.

Once the signal comes in the EMI frequency range, other ways of discrimination
between common mode interference currents and differential mode signal currents
are necessary. (balanced signal twisted pairs, common mode coils,
transformers).

Gert Gremmen