Standards are in general -at least in our businesses- created by private parties (as opposed to public ); "interested parties" as John says. In Europe we also have "directives". Grosso modo: "Directives" are  called "codes" on the other side of the ocean and have legal value,  standards do not.

A subtle variation of standards are /EU exclusive/, and they are *cited harmonized standards*. Cited from citation in the Official Journal L(egal) of the EU, Harmonized as being valid within all member states of the EU. Cited HS have legal effect in the EU.

Gert Gremmen

On 27-6-2019 21:08, John Woodgate wrote:

That's only one sort of standard, a performance standard. There are other sorts, such as 'methods of measurement' standards. In general, a standard is 'an agreement between interested parties'.

Best wishes
John Woodgate OOO-Own Opinions Only
J M Woodgate and Associateswww.woodjohn.uk
Rayleigh, Essex UK
On 2019-06-27 19:35, Richard Nute wrote:

Hi Doug:

Way back when, Dwaine Richins, professor at University of Oregon, taught that a standard was “a statement of acceptable performance.”  Keeping this definition in mind…

This message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to <emc-p...@ieee.org <mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org>>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at: http://www.ieee-pses.org/emc-pstc.html

Attachments are not permitted but the IEEE PSES Online Communities site at http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/ can be used for graphics (in well-used formats), large files, etc.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html