Hello,

I have been investigating using EMC2 and some stepper motors to a small
milling machine. I have a cloudy area of understanding around driving the
stepper motors. As usual I am trying to do it on the cheap :-) and hence
would like to develop my own stepper driver. I am hoping someone can provide
some direction so that I don't fall off any cliffs.

So far I believe there is two ways to generate an amplified stepper signal
(half, full etc).

Method 1

Using the parport config to send a step signal and a direction signal for
each axis. Run these signals into a stepper driver chip which is configured
for the stepper phase that I require. This method should leave a few extra
pins on my parallel port to play with later.

Method 2

Use the functionality of the stepgen module to perform the required stepper
phase for each axis. Amplify each signal into the motor. This method will
use up more parallel port pins depending on the amount of coils in the
stepper that I purchase, I may even need another port if 5 phases is
required.

Are both methods possible? Which method is the most common or gives the best
result?

I also intend to opto isolate the signals coming from the parallel port to
protect my motherboard, is there any unforeseen problems doing this?

Cole