What about a photo type switch w/ analog feedback? Some of them have set
points on them that trigger a output when they are in a range. This way
it would be non contact and could be safely place at some distance from
the cutter?? Just a thought... Keyence has a few types of switches like
this. Here is a link to Keyence http://world.keyence.com/

Just a thought,

Mike