The problem gets even more elaborate and potentially more constrained.

First, when most people carve a pumpkin they don't worry about the
depth. Unfortunately, I don't usually carve like most people *grin*.  I
actually vary the depth of the cut.  Sometimes I use a Dremel, sometimes
chisels, the result is fairly cool - the light shows through and the
results are quite pretty. I've enclosed a picture or a hand carved
pumpkin done without varying the depth.

Second, the correct solution may be to create a subtractive depth map of
the pumpkin but there is a cost constraint imposed by the target
audience. I would like to submit the mechanism to my friends at MAKE
magazine. Their projects are generally very low cost. While my personal
preference would be to use high-tolerance motion stages, simple surplus
helical screws will be used with drawer-slides instead!

Except for the motor drivers and PC, I'm pretty sure an entire (albeit
low-tolerance) machine could be created for less than $200. I view this
as one more "fun" dimension to the project.

Third, someone pointed out that the more information you give the better
the answers you get. There is much truth to the comment. But there is
also something to boiling down the problem. Sorry for not explaining all
of the constraints up front.