On Monday 29 January 2007 17:33, Anders Wallin wrote:
>> This looks very neat at first glance John, but one specification of
>> interest seems to be missing entirely.
>>
>> What is the beam divergence over that range, since its near infrared
>> at 850nm, most of us can't see it.  I wonder if its output is strong
>> enough that we could visualize it with one of those IR detector cards
>> the tv service techs use to verify that an IR tv remote is actually
>> outputting a signal?
>
>A normal digital camera will see NIR radiation just fine. I've looked at
>the tv-remote, and reflections from a 1064nm laser and they both show as
>bright white spots on the camera preview screen.

Duh! I was aware of that, but didn't happen to think of it in this
context. Probably because my own digital camera needs to actually take
the pix before it can display it.  It doesn't use the rear screen as a
live display so it would not be 'realtime'.  And its still hell on
batteries.  Old technology I guess, its getting on in digital camera
years, its about 6 years old now.

I wonder how well my Sony tvr-460 digital hi8 might do for that, says he
to no one in particular...

Thanks Anders.

--
Cheers, Gene