Glenn,

There are a number of commands which will give you meaningful status
information. They include:

get estop
Returns On | Off for whether the machine is in estop

get machine
Returns On | Off for whether the machine state is on or off.

get program
Returns the name of the currently loaded program

get mode
Returns manual | auto | mdi for the current operating mode

get program_status
Returns idle | running | paused for program run state

get step
Returns the current step (line of G-Code) executing.

Again enter:
help get

To see a complete list of all commands supported by get.

Regards,
Eric