paul_c wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>>>At present, EMC has a driver (by PeteV) that supports a single
>>>configuration. That one config is stored as part of the EMC source code,
>>>in both VHDL and binery form - binary because most people don't have the
>>>Xilinx software installed, and even if they do, the translation from VHDL
>>>to bitfile is NOT something you want to do every time you build the
>>>software.
>>>

>Calling xst and friends from the command line is trivial enough given the
>XILINX env. variable. But few people will need/want the ISE toolchain
>installed, likewise, many will not want to recompile just to update a single
>firmware blob.

Well, it is licensed software, so forget GPL.  At least the stuff I use
is licensed.
Also, the full synthesize/place/route chain can take a long time,
depending on the
size of the FPGA and the density of the logic.  Most of the stuff I do
finishes in under
20 miinutes, but the big FPGAs take days to compile.

> Embedding firmware is wrong - Do a search on the LKML for the reasons why -
>The kernel team have provided a simple mechanism (for 2.6.x series) that
>avoids bloating a driver with 97652 bytes (166980 for 200K devices, and even
>more for 400k).

I'm SURE there are several mechanisms that would work for loading FPGA
configs from
a user-level file.  Even EMC1 had the tools to make this possible.

Jon