Recently, we've discovered our new laser machine to show some erratic
behavior. All seems fine when EMC (2) is running, but as soon as it gets
shut down, the stepper motors start to move - albeit slowly - with
random steps. We have traced the problem to come from the controlling
computer, which (when disconnected) shows some very short spikes coming
from the parallel ports. I've tried disabling any unneeded services and
hardware on the computer, so far to no avail. Another possibly related
problem is the sudden 'clunk' heard from the machine's axes when doing
file access. That is, when running another program, opening or saving
files, pressing 'OK' in the 'touch offset' window from Axis or anything
alike, the axes seem to do an abrupt step or two. Has anybody ever
experienced similar problems? Any ideas? At the scales we're producing,
any such unexpected movements are disastrous.

On a side note, I've had Axis crashing on me a number of times, close to
line 12500 to 13500 of a CNC program. The same program runs without a
hitch in TkEmc. Any suggestions?

All help will be appreciated!

Marc.