Richard Arthur wrote:
> I am trying to determine pinouts on my Litton encoders. They have 5
> wires, two for 5V supply, two giving 1000 counts per rev, one giving 1
> count per rev. Can I assume then that the 1000 counts per rev are
> Channels A and B and the other is the index?
Yes.
  Is there a rudimentary
> method  to distinguish Channels A and B? Presumably they need to be
> connected the right way round to indicate correct direction of rotation?
Well, they really are interchangeable.  If the screen display
indicates the wrong polarity for the movement, then you can
either swap the wires, or change the sign of the INPUT_POLARITY
and possibly OUTPUT_POLARITY values in the .ini file.

> In the hardware drivers, for the m5i20 P2 connector, does enc-00 equate
> to X-axis, enc-01 equate to Y-axis and enc-02 equate to Z-axis?
>
> With 1000 count encoders and ball screw pitch 0.2 inch giving a
> resolution of 0.0002 inch, I note the old original control display
> actually indicated a resolution of 0.0001 inch. Presumably, it really is
> limited to 0.0002 inch?
If you encoders are 1000 CYCLE/rev, then they actually give 4000
quadrature counts per rev.  4000 x 5 TPI = 20000 counts/inch or
.00005" per encoder count.

Jon