On Monday 06 August 2007, RogerN wrote:
>Would my EMC2 system work with USB wireless networking?  I'm thinking of
>this because I could connect the USB wireless adapter to a USB extension
>and position it for better reception.  I'm just not sure if it would
>work on my Ubuntu Linux EMC2 system.  Another option would be a PCI card
>and an external antenna with cable.

USB tends to create real time lag events, depending on whats plugged in.  My
1600mhz system tolerates a USB mouse ok, but upchucks all over itself if I
plug in a 64 megabyte usb key.

As for networking, I have a 100baseT nic in mine, and ran a hunk of cat5
overhead across the back yard for a total distance from the hub here, to that
box of about 140 feet, 3 years ago & the weather hasn't killed it yet!

That nic hasn't bothered emc2, currently at version 2.1.7 at all as I usually
leave an IRC client running, and have been carving parts while typing at the
guys on #emc.  But adding in the lags caused by USB probably would not be
healthy to emc's smoothness.  Similarly, a wireless connection adds latencies
too, so it wouldn't be a surprise to me to find that emc wouldn't work too
smoothly while the radio is actually running without some means of disabling
the radio while emc was running.  You would have to turn it off, and unload
the driver modules too I'd think.

>Also, after getting to play with hal configurations a bit, It seems like
>it wouldn't be too difficult to get steppers working with encoder
>feedback.  If you would set up a pid loop => frequency generator and
>configure velocity feed forward to run the steppers at the commanded
>velocity, then pid gains could be set to take care of position
>deviations.  This would be useful in detection and correction of lost
>steps for one.  It would also give you the ability to connect encoders
>directly to lead screws or use linear encoders for actual position
>feedback.  It seems like this would be a little more to set up than just
>plain open loop steppers but shouldn't be much more difficult than
>setting up a servo system.  I don't think I've ever heard of a stepper
>based system that is capable of positioning from linear scales.  That
>should take care of lost steps, lead screw errors, minor amounts of
>backlash, etc.
>
>Just a thought...
>
>Roger Neal

Cheers, Gene
There's nothing wrong with teenagers that reasoning with them won't aggravate.